Verizon Wireless still hates North Boulder (but loves our money)

| Jul 16, 2015

UPDATE July 16, 2015: I now have an official Verizon Wireless Trouble Ticket, No. 7786181. I hope everyone affected by lousy Verizon Wireless coverage in North Boulder goes on Twitter and comments about it. Be sure to include @verizonwireless in your tweet. You can also add “@monopolist” for extra pizzazz.

Yoo-hoo, Verizon: we’re still waiting.

And now, back to my article of May 23…

Oh just out of frustration, I guess, I tweeted Verizon Wireless after years of being unable to make phone calls on a current iPhone either when driving along Iris Ave. between Broadway and 28th St. or when visiting the complex of stores around Lucky’s Market on N. Broadway.

Guess what: we have a social media dialogue on our hands. Someone at Verizon is watching closely for people who put a little @verizonwireless in their tweets. I’ll report back with any updates should service improve.

In my reply tweet to “^MH” at Verizon, I included a terse “frustration widespread,” which seems reportorial enough given how many people I’ve heard complain about Verizon’s areas of no service in North Boulder.

I neglected to note to Verizon the problems experienced by people who live at the west side of the Newlands neighborhood in North Boulder. When I discussed this in an earlier call with Verizon Wireless tech support, a nice person said she could provide a “network extender” box for $175 but added that, for technical reasons related to network upgrades, it probably wouldn’t help much if at all. As for waiving the $175, “they don’t let us do that anymore.”

It should be noted that we had totally reliable cellphone service in Amsterdam (and in unlikely places like a train zooming through rural Spain) when we were working there — in 1999.

As for the trail where I took the picture “high above Boulder,” I’m not allowed to tell anyone because it’s a gorgeous new Open Space trail and we don’t want it to get crowded.

A screenshot of the Twitter dialogue follows…

* * *

• Eric said:

Found this after googling “Verizon Wireless Cell Reception Boulder” out of frustration. I live and work in Old North Boulder and can’t even take calls at my house anymore without fear of miserable reception. Nothing worse than the dreaded “yea, I can’t hear you – sounds like you may have dropped”. Sadly, I even bought the “network extender” for $250 for my house so I could work, but it hasn’t helped one bit. Please post if you make any progress or get any answers. They aren’t exactly forthcoming at the 29th St Mall location on information.

• patrick roberts said:

Long time resident of North Boulder (lower Wonderland Lake/Forest Glen neighborhood near Jarrow Montessori) and long time subscriber to Verizon Wireless. Ditto regarding North Boulder Verizon cell phone signal – roughly equivalent to the North Pole in terms of signal strength and reliability.

• Kelly Frazier said:

Wow, we live at about 6th and Grape in the Newlands and our service seems to have plummeted lately. We work from home, so this is pretty detrimental to a sane day.

Please keep posting if any updates show up from Verizon.

• Kate said:

I’ve been in N. Boulder for 6 years. Signal has deteriorated over the last few months. People are constantly saying I am breaking up. I move around the house, outside, etc. but have little success with any reliable signal. Pease keep Verizon on this!

• Ed said:

Four Mile Creek – North Boulder

Same issues as noted from others. Impossible to use our Verizon iPhones from home. Visited store and they never informed us of why this issue was happening. Had to read it hear. Probably because they don’t want to give folks credits for no service. Thanks Verizon, “Can you hear me know???”…(probably not, unless I call you from my Comcast landline)

• dsladepi said:

After years of fine Verizon cell service at our home in Palo Park neighborhood (near Jay and 30th) we began dropping calls and getting a weird two tone beep at the beginning of making a call. Inevitably after 30 seconds of conversation I start hearing an echo of my own voice and drop calls. This has been going on for about 3-6? months now, starting @ Summer of 2015. I contacted Verizon and here is what they said,

“Since I do see that we have a tower that isn’t too far from you and you should be getting good service, I’d actually like to send a team out to your area to inspect that tower. It doesn’t sound like anybody has done that, and it sounds like a lot of customers in your area are being impacted. Does that sound like a plan to get you some better service?”

Hopefully we’ll see an improvement soon.

A buddy of mine DID get the booster / extender for his house and he said that is really works, but was annoyed to have to pay around $175 for it.

• H Smith said:

The terrible coverage is not limited to North Boulder. I live in South Boulder and it takes me an average of three dropped calls to make a single successful call. I have turned to a landline to make calls of any importance. Verizon – help us all!

• Bob Wells (author) said:

Thank you for your input to the discussion, H. One small note of progress: reception seems a lot better (existent) now on the east-west drive on Iris between Broadway and Folsom (a stretch I had complained to Verizon about more than once).

• Chris McCall said:

I work from a home office in Valmont/Folsom area. Verizon network is usable for about 33% of attempted calls placed/received. Have been using Comcast wifi calling with somewhat better quality. Considering re-installing land line. Frustrating.

• Jake said:

I live in the Dakota Ridge neighborhood and I can’t make a call unless I walk outside and down to the corner of 10th and Lee. Very frustrating.

• el Sheb said:

I had GREAT reception – in SOBO – for YEARS. Only in 2016, in RECENT months (this summer, perhaps as far back as April) – multiple DROPPED CALLS.

I have remained in same location, and calling from my desk, as usual. Local, or calls out of state. Does not matter who/where. Calls to Whole Foods Mkt., Pearl St. … 4 or 5 attempts one day. Finally got thru another try, a few days later.

WHAT … pray tell … is going on Verizon ????

• el Sheb said:

Comcast ALSO worsened … past 2 yrs. or so. A few weeks ago, I was told to re-program.

• el Sheb said:

Why should folks need a “booster” to maintain same level of service? I’m likely going with an “unlocked” GSM phone in near future. I’m certain it will be an adventure. Perhaps this will work.

Add your comments...

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.