Collapse of fish stocks worldwide (audio)
Judy Lubow | Jul 14, 2010
TOPIC: Scientists predict the collapse of fisheries worldwide unless over-fishing and other current trends change drastically.
Sources for this program
- BBC News, 11/2/2006, Richard Black, “Only 50 years left” for sea fish; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6108414.stm
- Washington Post, 11/3/2006, Juliet Eilperin, World’s Fish Supply Running Out, Researchers Warn; http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/02/AR2006110200913.html
- National Geographic News, May 15, 2003, Big-fish Stocks Fall 90 Percent Since 1950, Study Says; http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0515_030515_fishdecline.html
- Mongabay.com, August 18, 2008, Jeremy Hance, The long-ignored ocean emergency and what can be done to address it; http://news.mongabay.com/2008/0818-hance_oceans.html
- United nations Environment Programme, May 17, 2010, Turning the Tide on Falling Fish Stocks–UNEP-Led Green Economy Charts Sustainable Investment Path; http://www.unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?DocumentID=624&ArticleID=6566&l=en
- World Resources Institute, November 8, 2006, Janet Ranganathan, Biodiversity Loss May Lead fo Global Fisheries Collapse; http://www.wri.org/stories/2006/11/biodiversity-loss-may-lead-global-fisheries-collapse
- Science Magazine, May 4, 2010, Gretchen Vogel, British Trawlers Working Nearly 20 Times as Hard to Catch Fish; http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/05/british-trawlers-working-nearly-.html
- Mongabay.com, July 18, 2007, Foreign fishing fleets deplete African fish stocks; http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0717-wsj.html
Planet Warning is created and narrated by local audio activist Judy Lubow and airs over KGNU and other radio stations. You can hear recent episodes on our site here. Previous audios, covering such topics as Monster Banks, the Sixth Mass Extinction, and Ocean Acidification, and sources for all the audios, can be seen and heard on Planet Warning’s website.
ALSO…hear Judy Lubow’s longer audio documentary on the fate of horses.